Gawcott Village


  Gawcott is a small village of about 271 homes and is predicted to grow to about 800 people by the end of the 2012.  It is situated about a mile and a half south-east of Buckingham.  The name Gawcott derives from an old English term meaning a rented cottage.  The village is surrounded by farmland.  Gilbert Scott is probably the most famous person to come from Gawcott.  He was a well known architect who designed St Pancras Railway Station in London, just one of the many well-known buildings he designed.
The Methodist Chapel has a prominent position in the village, fronting the small triangular village green on Main Street.
The green tapers off and becomes a wide verge running eastwards below Holy Trinity Church along to Charlotte Cottage.  It features the village pump and the new library in a phone box! (A Diamond Jubilee project, initiated by the WI. The phone box was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott for King George V’s Silver Jubilee in 1936.  His grandfather, the Victorian architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, was born in the village in 1811, the son of the rector of the church. The instantly recognizable kiosk, with its unusual conversion was opened in June 2012 as a memorial to the Gilbert Scott family) 


Back to Gawcott Methodist Chapel